profound concern of his parents Allan Dobson left King James's to
become an apprentice at Washpit Mill in Holmfirth. After 18 months he
then joined the RAF to undertake his National Service as a radar
mechanic based near Dover and later near Bridlington.
Having decided that his parents were right and that 'life at t'mill'
was not for him, he then joined the National Coal Board at Horbury to
become an Opencast Executive (known in those days as a 'sunshine
collier'). Then followed three years with Leeds City Engineers
Department as a highways engineer, after which he joined JGL Poulson
(Architects) where he spent six years in the 1960s.
Having moved progressively into business development management, Allan
worked in this capacity with a number of large construction companies
including Wimpey and Balfour Beatty, before retiring in 2001.
Allan's father, Gerald Dobson, was a boarder at King James's from
1916 and later played a prominent role in the struggle to preserve
the School's grammar school status in the late 1940s. Allan himself
earned his place in the history of the School as a member of a small
group of pupils who rediscovered the School
Charter at a Yorkshire Archaeological Society exhibition in
Recorded on 3
October 2007 Mac users only: click here
does not play